Monday 15 September 2014

Paying attention to the environment in classroom interactions

This morning I read an interesting story:

In it, the write realizes that in Japan she needs to look for eye contact from members of the audience and directly ask them if they want to contribute something instead of just asking the entire room. I thought this was very interesting and important for me to remember because I tend to get very absorbed in the content I am discussing and lose my focus on my surroundings and time management. 

In the future, when I am checking to see if anyone has questions, I want to pay close attention to body language. Not just because McMaster has many international students, but also because I want to give support to quiet students who may have very important questions. I usually do have pretty lively discussion in tutorials, but I want to be proactive about it. Sometimes we don't try to understand or fix something until it doesn't work for us, but if you want to keep things running smoothly you need to think about what could go wrong in advance and how to prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment